Sunday, May 12, 2013

Musical Discovery: Parov Stelar

Wow, so if you actually follow this site at all, you'd know that this is being posted like...3 weeks late.  I've been busy moving halfway across the country.  I'm sure I'll catch up eventually.

If you don't follow this site...well move along and keep reading.

Anyways, this entry is on the electronic/swing artist Parov Stelar.  I was originally introduced to the music of Parov Stelar by one of my college roommates.  Specifically these songs.  Soon afterward, as I get with music I enjoy, I became semi-obsessed.  We had some really fun times rocking out to these beats.

In any case, back to the music.  Overall, it's a pretty jazzy set of music.  While it incorporates a lot of electronic aspects, the swing and jazz feel are really strong and really refreshing.  Especially so when you listen to pop music too much.  Don't get me wrong I love me some pop music, my first Musical Discovery was on Ellie Goulding after all.  But I find that if I listen to too much pop music, it just all blurs into a mess of...indistinct musical tropes.  On the other hand, I find that all of Parov Stelar's tracks are while genre-wise similar, their feel and overall execution vary greatly, in a good way.  From his use of trumpets with Harmon mute to his saxophone heavy melodies to his awesome collaborative singers, he just seems to make every piece magical in a different way.

Overall, I just think you're missing out if you haven't taken a listen.  He's got a bunch of stuff and in my opinion, all of it's good, which is pretty hard to find.

--CsMiREK

No comments:

Post a Comment