Friday, December 6, 2013

Gear Days: Panasonic RP-DJS400 Rainbow Resonance

Let's keep on rolling with the reviews.  Up next are the Panasonic RP-DJS400s.  These are a pair of on ear (supra-aural), or maybe over ear (circumaural), headphones that come in quite a variety of colors, hence 'rainbow'.  I got my pair for $21.95 which is a bit cheaper than it is now at $30.89.  But anyways let's jump into the aesthetics and form a bit more.

Aesthetically, they're pretty standard headphones.  The colors pop a bit and are fun to look at.  Additionally, the packaging is really easy to open which I have to say is a giant plus.  The JVC HAFX1Xs that I just reviewed have that really annoying to open clamshell packaging that is just a nightmare to open. As for the form I said that they're supra-aural since that's the case for me.  If you happen to have smaller ears I can see them functioning as closed back circumaural headphones as the pads and cups are pretty large for supra-aural headphones.  There are reviews saying that they leak sound, which is relatively common for supra-aural headphones but it's hard to tell when you're by yourself and no one's really bugging you about the sound.  Comfort wise, I personally find them pretty uncomfortable.  My thoughts on that are that one, I don't usually like supra-aural headphones as they apply funny pressure on my ears and that there simply isn't enough padding at the top of the headband so there's more pressure on the top of your head than necessary.

Regardless of comfort though, there's sound and these deliver pretty decent sound at roughly $30.  My impressions of them are that they are more bass heavy than necessary but that's very common for cheaper headphones.  My opinion on that point is that consumer headphones are geared heavily towards rap or current pop/rock music, all of which benefits from having a bass that is present.  While I feel that they usually overdo it, it's a matter of taste that I won't argue about.  Regardless, the bass does sound pretty decent, being relatively clear and definitely present.  However, the mids are off.  They're not weak like the HAFX1Xs, but they aren't as defined as the Nuforce 770Xs either.  Because of the thicker bass texture, the mids just simply don't perform as well.  Furthermore, I noticed that acoustic guitars sound strange, they twang in ways that just don't appear on other headphones or like guitars do generally.  The highs are fine, not too sharp or forward, but not anemic either.  Overall I do like the sound and find it pleasant, albeit a bit more bass heavy than I like, which is true for most of these cheaper headphones.  The sound stage is pretty wide but lacks some of the definition you'd find on say the ATHM50s or JVC HA-RX900s.

Because of comfort, I'd have to give these a 6.5-7 out of 10.  If they were more comfortable to the point where I was only concerned about sound quality and price, I might give them a bit of a bump to 7-7.5 but probably not more.  They're definitely a pretty nice pair to have lying around, especially if you're more into supra-aural headphones than I am.  Now if you'll excuse me I think I'll take them off as this review is done and I don't want to feel the pressure of these headphones on my ears.  I hope you enjoyed this review and the next one's gonna be up on the 9th.  See you then.

--CsMiREK

No comments:

Post a Comment