Saturday, December 28, 2013

The End is Nigh

No, I don't mean that this is the end of days, although it might, we'll find out.  I'm merely stating that the end of the year is but 3 days out.  As we round out 2013, let's take some time to think about all the things that have happened this year.

In politics, we had a bullshit government shutdown.  Shortly after was a shitshow of a software launch in the Affordable Care Act AKA 'Obamacare'.  It honestly reminds me a bit of this.  I won't go too far into why it ended up the way it did.  But looking at it from a computer science background, all I have to say is that it could have easily been implemented for cheaper if it wasn't a government contract.  Hell, it could've been done better if politicians simply didn't have their hands all over it trying to make it fail.  The decision making process surrounding Obamacare just shows how disjointed and abysmal the current administration is.  This doesn't even include the fact that no one in Congress seems to want to agree on anything.  If you asked a vote of what the color of the sky was, invariably you'd get that the Democrats say blue and the Republicans say something like 'Oh but it's red right before nighttime'.

Enough about politics though as it makes me angry.  Moving onto disasters and tragedies.  They haven't ceased.  It's as simple as that.  From shootings to typhoons in the Philippines, they still happen.  While some are directly man-made, the number of natural disasters is nothing to sneeze at.

To start the year I said that 2012 was a jerk.  I have to say now that 2013 wasn't much better.  The more I think about it, I have to think to myself, was 2013 any better than 2012?  Across the board, we repeated the mistakes of last year and many years past.  Did we really move forward a year or is this year the same as last?  I sincerely hope that your year was good.  But for many, many people, this year was the worst possible and to them I hope that 2014 is more kind to you.  And with that this post will end my first year doing this.  I had some ups and downs but I hope you enjoyed reading as much as I enjoyed writing.  I hope 2014 turns out better than 2013 but I'd be remiss to say the past years have had a good track record.

--CsMiREK

No comments:

Post a Comment