Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Gear Days: JVC-HAFX1X Booming Bass

Next up on the bucket list are the JVC-HAFX1X or more normally called, the JVC Xtreme Xplosives.  These can be had from Amazon at a relatively cheap, $16.88.  But enough about price, let's get down to it.

First off as always is accessories and looks.  If you dig the red cables and black drivers, these are probably right up your alley.  With 3 sizes of tips: small, medium, and large these are quite standard and unlike the Nuforce NE-770Xs I just reviewed, there's only one pair of each.  Oh well, that's not a deal breaker.  The Xtreme Xplosives also come with a small hard case with XX on one of the sides which honestly looks pretty nice.  However, I can't say I really enjoy the aesthetics that much as the casings are just much too large for my taste.  And by that I really don't mean taste as they have no business actually being as large as they are.  But that's a good way to lead into my next topic.

Fit.  And these don't really.  I find them really hard to get a good fit.  I think part of it is the large casings and the other part being the really awkward diagonal angle of the driver off the casings.  There are other headphones that do this and I haven't tried them so I can't be sure of that being the cause but in any case I can never get a good feeling fit with these headphones.  It constantly feels like they're loose and honestly they're much too easy to take out for in ear headphones, namely they're too loose.  Also, because of the large casings they are heavier than most in ears which causes more physical fatigue than necessary.

Anyways, let's get to sound.  These are some REALLY bassy headphones.  To the point where they turn songs that aren't particularly bassy into pretty damn bassy tracks.  Honestly I find it pretty distracting and even after some burn in they weren't much better.  Although I will say that they were better, just not enough to make me like them particularly.  Interestingly enough though, the highs are also quite pronounced.  Which leaves the mids to feel really recessed and weak even though they're probably fine.  The really bad thing about having really strong bass and highs is that the sound is very fatiguing.  I find it really hard to actually listen to much at all when listening to these which is a pretty big problem in my opinion.  Another thing about these headphones is that they're very loud, to the point that I usually have to turn down the volume when switching to these headphones from others.  Additionally, the sound stage is pretty small, roughly equivalent to the Nuforce's so the bass gets kinda muddled through the reverberations it causes in your head.

Overall, I've gotta say I don't enjoy these headphones at all.  I'm sorry if that offends anyone but these rank pretty low for me.  To the point where on a scale from 1 to 10, I'll give them a 3.5-4.  If you really like your bass thumping and present to a fault, go ahead, but I think I'll stick to some more balanced cans.  Even at $16.88, I can't recommend these unless you really, really like bass on every last track you listen to.  Also, my pair was kinda noisy down the wire, which I'm gonna give them the benefit of the doubt and say it's an issue on just my pair.  Anyways, I'll get to headphones I actually like pretty soon, so stay tuned.

--CsMiREK

No comments:

Post a Comment