Sunday, January 13, 2013

Musical Discovery - Ellie Goulding

To start off musical discovery, I wanted to highlight a relatively well known artist.  As I continue onwards, I am likely to go further into the obscure.  Regardless, this post is about the UK singer Ellie Goulding.

Most famous in the US for the song 'Lights', Goulding blends a powerful voice with elements most commonly associated with electronic dance music.  What's most interesting to me about Goulding is her ability to sing in multiple musical styles from having a soulful sound to a bright and distinctly pop sound.

The first of the two can be easily heard off her second album Halcyon in the track 'My Blood'.  I'll leave it up to you to go search for it online.  When you do listen to it, you'll realize what kind of range and depth her voice really has.  While I love musicians who can cultivate and master a particular kind of sound I also admire those who can create bridges between multiple styles to create wholly new styles.

For reference, if you want a distinctly more pop sound, listen to her first album Lights.  If you have fallen in love with her voice and can take a darker and more mature sound, pick up her second album Halcyon.  I hope you enjoyed this segment, the next one's on the punk rock group Rise Against.

--CsMiREK

No comments:

Post a Comment