Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Musicians and Programmers Pt. 1

So here we are, a real post. But what should I talk about?  Well, how about I talk about myself a bit.  The purpose of this site is to show the world my views and opinions.  To do so, you should probably know some stuff about me.

Given that the title of this post is musicians and programmers I guess that must mean I am both a musician and a programmer.  Well, if you came to that conclusion, I would surmise that you are at least as smart as a 5th grader.  More specifically, I am a cellist and am about to graduate from college with a bachelors in computer science.

What I have realized in my few years in programming is that a LOT of programmers are musicians. This seems strange as in programming, you try to create programs with the "correct" behavior.  In this way, programming seems incredibly objective, there is a right answer, get to it.  On the other hand, music is highly subjective.  It is hard to gauge what "good" music is and there generally isn't an answer at all.   To that, I say that you're not asking the right questions about music nor are you asking the right questions about the minds behind the music.

I won't go into why I think so many programmers are musicians in this post, I'll leave that for later.  (If you're curious what others think about the subject, see this).  However, I want to impart onto you the correct questions to ask yourself for my next post on this topic.  First, what makes a "good" program?  At the same token, what makes a "good" piece of music?  Next, what do programmers aim for to make "good" programs and what do composers aim for to make "good" pieces of music?   Lastly, does everyone have a consensus on what constitutes a "good" program?

--CsMiREK

No comments:

Post a Comment