Saturday, March 2, 2013

Double Feature - Pretty Lights - Finally Moving

As I was compiling my lists of musical discoveries and top tracks, it just so happened that the next musical discovery is Pretty Lights and the next top track is his track, 'Finally Moving'.  Whether by accident or on purpose, it doesn't seem right that I should separate the two from each other.  For that reason we have our first double feature.

Pretty Lights is the stage name of Derek Vincent Smith.  As an artist he produces electronic music with an emphasis on sampled sounds and really chill beats.  As for how I got into Pretty Lights, I actually was introduced to his music through a friend of mine.  He's a big fan of electronic music and at the time I was still kinda warming up to electronic music and the sounds of the entire genre.  To be honest I don't particularly follow artists so I guess there isn't too much more I can say about him as a person.  However, what is really cool is that all of his albums and tracks are freely downloadable and distributable from his site.  There's also an option to donate so if you really enjoy his music, be proactive and support his music and his decision to freely distribute his music.

Moving on, we have his entry into my list of top tracks, 'Finally Moving'.  With relative certainty I can say that the track is his most well known.  This is partially because of the sample he uses which is also used in the house DJ Avicii's track 'Levels' and Flo Rida's 'Good Feeling'.  In all honesty, I find the music video to Avicii's 'Levels' incredibly amusing while I'm not a huge fan of Flo Rida in general, hence the lack of a link.  In any case, 'Finally Moving' is a really chill track and while it might not get you up and dancing like Avicii's track or have the mass appeal and recognition of Flo Rida's track, I think it's a really powerful track.  I think my problem with both Avicii's and even more Flo Rida's track hide and while they highlight the sample, they also muddy it with too much motion.  I think the sense of restraint and respect for the sample that Pretty Lights had was impressive.  If you're curious, the sample used by all three tracks among many others is a song by Etta James titled 'Something's Got a Hold on Me'.  I hope you enjoy the music and I hope you come away knowing another awesome artist and track.  It's March now, so expect a new schedule and a bunch of new stuff coming your way.  Until next time.

--CsMiREK

No comments:

Post a Comment