Thursday, February 21, 2013

Top Tracks - Fantasy

This time around we come back to Top Tracks.  For this segment I will be covering the song 'Fantasy' by LAMA.  This song isn't the most out there or bizarre track in my library for sure but I hope you find it as enjoyable as I do.

The song is sung by the Japanese group LAMA which consists of a group of really well known (in Japan) artists who I guess came together and just started jamming.  To be honest, I don't actually like most of their songs but this one just works in my opinion.  Whether it's the piano line that starts off the song or the very distinctive male and female voices that just never seem to sing at the same time, everything just kinda fits.  The handful of pauses that cause dramatic effects.  The reiteration of the piano line creates a natural transition back to the male voice.  All of these end up being really standard and well used musical techniques.  Even so, though the song is not as adventurous as the electronic sound of 'Cybernetic Mariachi' or the synth-y sound of St. Vincent, the song still manages to put itself in an interesting musical space.  It isn't quite what we would associate in the US with as mainstream pop music, but it also doesn't sound as raw as indie music tends to be.  Overall, I just like the piece and whether I have quantifiable reasons as to why or why not don't matter that much to me.

More info on the song itself.  It was the ending to an anime (Japanese animated series) called UN-GO which aired in the fall of 2011 (October - December).  The anime itself was a supernatural detective type of show and in my opinion both the soundtrack and this song fit the style and vision of the show very well.  FYI, I might go into covering anime but that's still up in the air for now as I have plenty of music to talk about and other interesting things in store for the coming months.  I hope you enjoy the song and you enjoyed the post.  See ya next time.

*As a note, it is actually possible to find a full original version of this song streaming.  Just not on YouTube.

--CsMiREK

No comments:

Post a Comment